[openssl-dev] Improving OpenSSL default RNG

Dmitry Belyavsky beldmit at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 14:40:29 UTC 2015

Hello Alexander,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Alessandro Ghedini <alessandro at ghedini.me>
wrote:

> So, any thought? If there's interest in this, I can look into investigating
> these things more in detail and propose possible patches.

In Russia we have to certify the RNG hardware and software for using in
organizations where the certified products are required.
Currently we are able to implement custom RAND_METHODs and provide it via
engines. So if the hardware is unavailable, the RAND_bytes() call fails.

In the 1.0.* versions of the OpenSSL library not all calls to RAND*
functions were checked for success, and it caused some problems.
LibreSSL treats their RNG functions as never-failed, and I do not know
about BoringSSL.

So we need non-void RAND API and possibility to provide our own
RAND_METHODs. If the current code is to be refactored, I ask to leave these
options possible.

--
SY, Dmitry Belyavsky