[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3712] TLS Renegotiation with Java is broken

Hubert Kario hkario at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 12:24:27 UTC 2015

On Friday 25 September 2015 12:42:14 Karthikeyan Bhargavan wrote:
> During renegotiation, app data should not appear between CCS and
> finished, but some implementations (e.g. NSS) do allow this. I would
> consider it a state machine bug, although finding a serious exploit
> is not so easy.

while it is not easy, patching it up before it is exploitable is a good
idea.

And besides, we already had enough issues with clients and servers
incorrectly attaching data to wrong authentication info.
Some implementations may think that stuff before Finished is from new
connection while others that it is from old connection.

I'll file that bug as soon as I have a reproducer for it (most likely
today)
--
Regards,
Hubert Kario