[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3964] Fix OPENSSL_NO_STDIO build

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Sep 30 14:37:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-09-30 at 11:19 +0000, Andy Polyakov via RT wrote:
> > See http://www.infradead.org/rpr.html
>
> Must be poor timing. First DNS took forever, then I get unable to
> connect, connection time-outs...

Apologies. I'm travelling and in trying to avoid the mess of top-posted
HTML that would result from using the Android mailer, I was using
SquirrelMail. For reasons I will attempt to establish when I get home,
that results in a line of what *should* have been an RFC822 header,
being visible in the body of the email. Please ignore that.

(And yes, {ns1,www,ftp}.infradead.org is currently AWOL)

> BIO would be an overkill in the original context, i.e. in context for
> irritating problem in FIPS module. But as current FIPS module is not
> really supported option in HEAD and would need overhaul in either
> case,
> let's let omission slide in HEAD. BTW, the comment was also meant to
> be
> of a little bit more general character, i.e. just because something
> is
> not used by the library itself, it doesn't have to be useless.

I think my observation was more than "not used by the library itself".
It was also (in HEAD) not in an exported header file, and not
documented. And not actually used anywhere outside the FIPS module.

The BIO thing came to mind when fixing other no-stdio failures, with
code that thinks it's OK to fprintf(stderr, …). That code *could*
potentially use BIO_printf(OPENSSL_stderr(), …). Or could just be fixed
not to do that kind of thing at all.

--
dwmw2