[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3712] TLS Renegotiation with Java is broken

Karthikeyan Bhargavan via RT rt at openssl.org
Wed Sep 30 18:41:39 UTC 2015

A simpler interpretation would be that application data should never be sent or
received with sequence number = 0; only finished messages may have this sequence number.
For connections with NPN enabled, we may need a slightly more complex rule.

In TLS we can also assume that encrypted fragments will not be accepted out of sequence. Perhaps DTLS violates this sequentiality? In which case, the interpretation of the CCS - Finished - AppData ordering becomes more difficult to enforce for DTLS.

-K.