[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4502] CT todos

Viktor Dukhovni via RT rt at openssl.org
Thu Apr 7 19:36:04 UTC 2016

Beyond the suggested changes to SCT_LIST_validate() et. al.
and documentation, IIRC at some point or other I noted that
the chain verification status observed in resumed sessions
may not be correct if handshakes without valid SCTs are
allowed to complete and perhaps get reused.

Even without resumption, applications typically expect to
find out chain validity via SSL_get_verify_result().

This suggests the view that SCT validation is a late phase
of chain validation, and that if SCT processing is enabled,
but no valid SCTs are presented, while the verify result is
X509_V_OK, it perhaps ought to be set to some (new) error
value, and as a result remain set in resumed sessions.

This means that the difference between the permissive and
the strict callback would be only in the return value, both
would still look for at least one valid SCT and set an
X509_V_ERR_<...> if still X509_V_OK (do not override any
prior X509 error).

It is unfortunate that we're doing SCT at the SSL layer
and not the X.509 layer, but sadly it seems that not all
the SCTs are available at the time we're processing the
peer's certificate message.  (stapled OCSP is after
the chain IIRC).

So this issue should be dealt with (or decided to be a non
issue) in the next few days before beta2.

--
	Viktor.

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4502