[openssl-dev] Does CAVS test harness support testing of Component Vectors like TLS, SSH etc.

cyriac cyriacjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 12:34:15 UTC 2016

I am specifically referring to the Key Derivation Function test vectors for
conformance with SP800-135 specification.
http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cavp/component-testing.html#KDF135
There we have *test vectors for SP 800-135 like “TLS KDF Test Vectors”, “SSH
Test Vectors”.*
(We have currently upgraded to openssl-fips 2.0.12)

In my understanding /fips_algvs/ supports test vectors for specific crypto
modules like AES, SHA, HMAC, RSA etc (with the respective
fips_<cryptoname>_main() routine).
However, *test vectors for applications utilizing one or more of these
cryptos like TSL, SSH etc. are not at all supported by the CAVS test
harness* ?

*We could not also find any such vectors being uploaded in the test vectors
repository* at
http://opensslfoundation.com/testing/validation-2.0/testvectors/ (In fact we
have randomly downloaded few of those and we could not find)

I am clueless how to go about generating response vectors for request
vectors like *tls.req* using the test harness.
In case the harness does not support, do you recommend any other resources
for reference implementation for these tests.
It looks like a tough ask!

Kindly pour in your suggestions/experiences.

-Cyriac