[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4521] openssl GCM ordering

Praveen Kariyanahalli via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue Apr 26 02:09:33 UTC 2016

Is there is a reason why openssl has restriction of auth before encrypt
order ? I dont believe there is an algo restriction, was wondering why
openssl has this.

*int CRYPTO_gcm128_aad(GCM128_CONTEXT *ctx, const unsigned char *aad,*
*                      size_t len)*
*{*

*[snip]*

*    if (ctx->len.u[1])*
*        return -2;                    <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Premature return*

*    alen += len;*

The reason I bring this up, is that when I broadcast/multicast traffic need
not encrypt the payload multiple times, but need to auth the header
differently and openssl is refusing to cooperate :)

Please throw light on how to work around this problem. Also please correct
me if my assumption is wrong.

Thanks in advance
-Praveen

--