[openssl-dev] [Bug] OpenSSL does not send short messages

Alex Hultman alexhultman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 03:17:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've found a very central bug that affects all my OpenSSL applications
including the official server example code, the vanilla Node.js HTTPs
server and my (arguably non-correct) own server project.

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/992

SSL_write followed by SSL_shutdown does not actually send the data passed
to SSL_write if the total data size sent is less than (on my system) 7-8
bytes.

If you consider the official example:
https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Simple_TLS_Server

(Note: I removed "SSL_CTX_set_ecdh_auto(ctx, 1);" to make it compile)

It responds Chrome with ERR_RESPONSE_HEADERS_TRUNCATED, while changing the
text sent to "Hello there" works and shows "Hello there" in Chrome. Same
goes for Curl. I've tested self-signed certs and one "half-signed" (crap
signer).

This is on Linux (Fedora 24) and I have OpenSSL 1.1.0 but I'm pretty sure
Node.js 5.x uses OpenSSL 1.0.2g.

Is this known behavior?