[openssl-dev] Lib names on Windows changed in OpenSSL 1.1.0

Ray Satiro raysatiro at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 05:14:22 UTC 2016

I am part of a project that has several build systems, and two in
particular are not dynamically generated, a makefile and a number of
Visual Studio project files, all of which link to ssleay32.lib and
libeay32.lib for OpenSSL. I've noticed in 1.1.0 the names were changed
to libssl.lib and libcrypto.lib. We would like for our project files to
be compatible with OpenSSL 1.1.0 and earlier versions, so that someone
can just open a project file and it will link to whatever version of
OpenSSL they're using. I am wondering if anyone else has brought this up
(searching I couldn't find anything), whether you have considered for
compatibility copying the libs to the old names, or if you have any
ideas for me. The project is cURL, https://github.com/curl/curl. Thanks