[openssl-dev] Building VC-WIN32 with VS2012 and above breaks older CPU compatability

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Fri Aug 26 21:11:26 UTC 2016

On 8/26/16, 17:04, "openssl-dev on behalf of Andy Polyakov"
<openssl-dev-bounces at openssl.org on behalf of appro at openssl.org> wrote:

>So suggestion is to impose /arch:ia32 on all users. Well, I personally
>have lesser problem with that (as most most performance-critical
>assembly code paths will be compiled anyway, processor capabilities
>detected at run-time, and inappropriate paths will be avoided), but I'm
>not sure if all users would appreciate it.

Normally I don’t use Windows, so shouldn’t care. However, as occasionally
I do stumble across a Windows system - I’d *much* dislike being stuck with
/arch:ia32.

20 years ago I might have had a different opinion. ;)

> Note that it's possible to
>set CL environment variable to add options of your preference without
>modifying anything.

And that’s probably what the requester should do, IMHO.

>Maybe that would be more adequate option to
>customize builds for specific needs. In worst case it would be
>appropriate to tie this option to no-sse2 configuration option, but not
>unconditionally...

Maybe…