[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #2768] Bug: internal_verify() hides errors from callbacks after X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_VERIFY_LEAF_SIGNATURE

Alex Rousskov via RT rt at openssl.org
Mon Feb 1 20:34:44 UTC 2016

On 02/01/2016 12:40 PM, Rich Salz via RT wrote:
> there does not seem to be anything for openssl to do here.

OpenSSL can do one of these two things (at least):

* Start reporting post-X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_VERIFY_LEAF_SIGNATURE errors
to callbacks [instead of hiding them].

* Adjust SSL_CTX_set_verify documentation to indicate that no errors are
reported to callbacks after X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_VERIFY_LEAF_SIGNATURE
[instead of saying that all errors are reported].

> also the verify_chain code is changigng a lot in 1.1

I hope this problem will be taken into consideration during the rewrite.

Thank you,

Alex.