[openssl-dev] recent EC_PRE_COMP changes

Billy Brumley bbrumley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 12:11:59 UTC 2016

>> Well I don't see an ex_data attached to EC_GROUP or EC_METHOD.
>
> No, do you need those?  We can add them.
>
>> When I look at ec_lib.c, pre_comp_type is only being checked in switch
>> statements in _free and _dup style wrappers. Seems out of place and oddly
>> specific. Just one dude's opinion :)
>
> The precomp stuff is internal to openssl, so I think it's reasonable to put there.

So when I see original comments like this in the EC structures:

/* The following members are handled by the method functions, even if
they appear generic */

What I expect, and was the behavior at least into 2014, is that e.g.
in ec_lib.c group->foo can happen for members "foo" above that
comment, but not below that comment. Am I interpreting this wrong?

BBB