[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3713] Bug: openssl-1.0.1l, FIPS, HP-UX ia64, Duplicate Symbol "AES_Te" and "AES_Td"

Tom Francis via RT rt at openssl.org
Wed Feb 3 13:11:43 UTC 2016

Use an older version of OpenSSL for your FIPS-enabled OpenSSL?  Yes, it might have security problems, but it you’re using the FIPS module!  It’s got worse security problems, so you shouldn’t worry. :)

I can say for sure the FIPS 2.0 module compiled and worked at the time the Security Policy was approved for HP-UX on IA64 and PA-RISC, in both 32- and 64-bit flavors.  But it was pretty picky about the link editor and compiler.

Two other issues to be aware of (and maybe fixing this will let the more recent versions of OpenSSL work):

1) HP’s link editor is very brittle. You should be sure you’re using the proper patch level for it.  I no longer have access to the box I was building on, and I’m not sure what the status of the box that was sent for testing is, so I can’t check the patch-level for the link editor.  Take a look at the dates in the Security Policy, it was the patch that came out about a month (or less?) prior to the submission of the FIPS 2.0 module for approval.  The previous patch wouldn’t link anything except the HP-UX kernel, so it was released outside the normal schedule (and the next patch broke it again, the patch after that was OK, but I never tried that one with building the FIPS module or FIPS-enabled OpenSSL).

2) You’re definitely using a newer version of the compiler; A.06.25 was the current version when the FIPS stuff was approved; depending on your auditors, you may need to be using that one.  Especially since the prior versions wouldn’t compile the FIPS module correctly, I wouldn’t be surprised if newer ones are incapable, too.

TOM