[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4229] Bug - OpenSSL 1.0.2e on AIX has sha256p8-ppc.s assembler build issue...

Gomes, Robert via RT rt at openssl.org
Fri Feb 12 22:05:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

Per Jeremy Farrell's suggestion, specifying the "-no-asm" option worked and I was able to get through the build.

Regarding the "stvx" instruction, here is a bit clearer set of info to map to why that instruction seemed to be the issue:

./crypto/sha/sha256p8-ppc.s

AES_ASM -c -o sha256p8-ppc.o sha256p8-ppc.s
Assembler:
sha256p8-ppc.s: line 11: invalid opcode or pseudo-op
sha256p8-ppc.s: line 14: invalid opcode or pseudo-op
sha256p8-ppc.s: line 16: invalid opcode or pseudo-op
sha256p8-ppc.s: line 18: invalid opcode or pseudo-op
sha256p8-ppc.s: line 20: invalid opcode or pseudo-op
sha256p8-ppc.s: line 22: invalid opcode or pseudo-op
sha256p8-ppc.s: line 24: invalid opcode or pseudo-op

The diags correspond to the "stvx" instruction:

01 .machine        "any"
02 .csect  .text[PR],7
03
04 .globl  .sha256_block_p8
05 .align  6
06 .sha256_block_p8:
07         stdu    1,-448(1)
08         mflr    8
09         li      10,207
10         li      11,223
11         stvx    20,10,1
12         addi    10,10,32
13         li      12,-1
14         stvx    21,11,1
15         addi    11,11,32
16         stvx    22,10,1
17         addi    10,10,32
18         stvx    23,11,1
19         addi    11,11,32
20         stvx    24,10,1
21         addi    10,10,32
22         stvx    25,11,1
23         addi    11,11,32
24         stvx    26,10,1

Note that I understand that AIX 5.2 is old, however the original inquiry was more driven by the unexpected build issue with OpenSSL 1.0.2e, since I was able to build 1.0.1c fine - however, perhaps it was just coincidence that AIX 5.2 builds happened to work before ;)

Thanks.