[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4229] Bug - OpenSSL 1.0.2e on AIX has sha256p8-ppc.s assembler build issue...

Andy Polyakov via RT rt at openssl.org
Sat Feb 13 10:20:20 UTC 2016

>  You can also add some more macros to the perlasm which already translates a
> LOT of opcodes into something older assemblers won't choke on.

If it was a matter of few instructions, then absolutely. But if it's a
question about *all* vector instructions, then it becomes
counter-productive. As already mentioned, in situation like this it
*would* be more appropriate to discuss *option* of disabling vector code
altogether. Rather than implementing complete AltiVec support in perlasm
that is. But as long as we are talking about one obsolete platform(*),
any non-trivial effort becomes questionable. To draw a parallel, why
doesn't IBM provide AIX 5.2 users with more capable assembler? What I'm
trying to say is that whatever reason that is articulated, similar one
can be formulated on OpenSSL behalf.

(*) I'm not referring to AIX as obsolete platform, but to obsolete AIX
*versions*.

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4229