[openssl-dev] memory leaks detected using libSSL 1.1

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Sat Feb 13 23:30:16 UTC 2016

On 13/02/16 22:19, Michel wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have multithreaded test programs (client and server) that I use to
> test some functionalities build with OpenSSL.
>
> They started to warn about memory leaks when I linked them with version 1.1.
>
> As I had to do some code changes to adapt the new version, I first
> thought I forget some [new] init/free code.
>
> I finally used OPENSSL_cleanup() and alikes instead of the previous
> litany calls ;-), but still encounters leaks.
>
> As it was hard to track them down, I write a simple server test program
> that wait for a client and then return without even receiving data.
>
> No certificate are loaded.
>
> Leaks are detected only when a client handshake with the server.
>

> I might be wrong, but I do not think this is a false positive.
>
> Could you please have a look at the informations below and share your
> feelings ?

Hmmm. It does look to me like there could be a memory leak here. What's
not clear to me is to why you are only seeing this in 1.1 and not
previous versions, as it looks like the same could happen in 1.0.2 as well!

Anyway, please try the attached patch to see if that helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks