[openssl-dev] Question about dynamically loadable engines on Cygwin / Mingw

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Mon Feb 15 12:29:03 UTC 2016

In message <20160215122509.GA15067 at calimero.vinschen.de> on Mon, 15 Feb 2016 13:25:09 +0100, Corinna Vinschen <vinschen at redhat.com> said:

vinschen> On Feb 15 13:03, Richard Levitte wrote:
vinschen> > So here is what I'm thinking...
vinschen> >
vinschen> > - engines in 1.1 should be named FOO.{suffix} (for an engine FOO and
vinschen> >   whatever suffix is conventional on the platform at hand, be it .so,
vinschen> >   .dll, .sl, .dylib...)
vinschen> > - the OpenSSL DSO module should be changed to have the DSO suffix
vinschen> >   configured instead of having it hardcoded as it is right now (the
vinschen> >   template framework we use makes that real easy, see how
vinschen> >   crypto/include/internal/bn_conf.h is generated as an example).
vinschen> > - the OpenSSL ENGINE module should be changed to tell the DSO module
vinschen> >   not to prefix the received file name with "lib" (which I suspect is
vinschen> >   the primary reason for the install hack you mentioned above).
vinschen> >
vinschen> > That way, we would have engines that look like DSOs and not like
vinschen> > shared libraries.  On cygwin, that would be something like "capi.dll",
vinschen> > on MacOS it would be "capi.dylib", on most other Unixen it would be
vinschen> > "capi.so".  My intention is to have this work smoothly and
vinschen> > consistently, without having to resort to all kinds of weird install
vinschen> > hacks or whatnot.
vinschen> >
vinschen> > Does that sounds like an acceptable change to you?
vinschen>
vinschen> Any method being platform independent because implementation details are
vinschen> hidden under the hood sounds perfect to me.

Then it's a go, I'll work on that.  Thanks for your feedback!

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org