[openssl-dev] Ubsec and Chil engines

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Feb 22 11:12:12 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-02-19 at 15:53 +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-02-19 at 13:12 +0000, Matt Caswell wrote:
>
> > As far as I know there are some customers using the Chil engine
> > > with
> > > RHEL (openssl-1.0.1).
> >
> > How do you feel about the engine being spun out into a separate
> > repo?
> > That of course assumes that a volunteer can be found to maintain it
> > (I
> > don't believe anyone on the dev team wishes to do so).
> >
> > If no such volunteer can be found how big a deal is it to remove it
> > from
> > 1.1.0 without a replacement? Obviously it won't be taken out of
> > 1.0.1/1.0.2. Of course there's no reason, even if we take it out
> > now,
> > that if someone needs it badly enough in the future that they
> > couldn't forward port the 1.0.2 version to 1.1.0 and maintain it
> > themselves at that point.
>
> It may even be better, instead of pushing for different engines for
> different hardware, to make PKCS#11 the only API used to talk to
> hardware. There is a quite functional (and active as project) pkcs11
> engine for openssl [0].

Agreed. With the caveat that I *really* want libp11 and engine_pkcs11
to die, and be replaced by native code in openssl/crypto/pkcs11/

That way we can integrate it *properly*, with various SSL certificate
handling functions just naturally taking PKCS#11 URIs alongside
filenames.

Integrating libp11 itself would require relicensing it, which might be
non-trivial but perhaps still achievable. Or maybe we should
reimplement it, basing the new version around p11-kit.

It would be an *optional* thing, of course. Windows builds might
default to no-pkcs11. But p11-kit ought to exist fairly much everywhere
*else*.

Apart from UEFI :)

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation