[openssl-dev] Ubsec and Chil engines

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Feb 22 11:32:21 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-02-20 at 22:55 +0100, Richard Levitte wrote:

> sander> What I would like to see though is for such a PKCS#11 Engine
> sander> to be part of OpenSSL proper, so that our customers and
> sander> everyone else’s don’t have to go hunt hither and yon for bits
> sander> and bobs of software in order to make their hardware kit work
> sander> with OpenSSL.  How would OpenSSL obtain a PKCS#11 Engine to
> sander> include in its distribution?
>
> I'm not sure if this is a problem specifically for OpenSSL to solve,
> or if it is a packager problem.

I touched on this in a message a few minutes ago, but I *definitely*
think it's the former.

If we integrate the support natively into OpenSSL, then PKCS#11 URIs
(see RFC7512) can be first-class citizens throughout the crypto and SSL
APIs. Any function which takes a filename for a cert or key should also
accept¹ a PKCS#11 URI.

Then we can also use PKCS#11 for the trust database, which allows us to
properly handle the trusted *purposes* in ways that a flat file
doesn't. And that flat file is now *exported* from the p11-kit-trust
token purely for the benefit of OpenSSL, which it would be nice to stop
doing.

I am happy to work on this.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation

¹ Or "have a parallel function which takes"... but seriously, how often is
  a string which starts "pkcs11:" going to have been intended as a an
  actual *filename*? :)