[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4343] master: EC_KEY_priv2buf (): check parameter sanity

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 00:42:23 UTC 2016

>> Correct me if I am wrong... API's that start with capitol letters are
>> public. Private interfaces use lowercase letters.
>> Documented/undocumented does not really factor things.
>
> You're wrong.  Once OpenSSL's past sins are remediated, public
> interfaces are precisely those that are documented.  For now, public
> interfaces are either macros or functions and global variables
> those whose symbols are exported by the libssl and libcrypto shared
> libraries.  This is not a good place to be.

Please ensure this is documented somewhere. I'm having trouble finding
information on the new rules.

There's 15 or 20 years of using capitol and lower case identifiers to
denote public and private APIs with OpenSSL. For example, see
https://marc.info/?l=openssl-users&m=102683340223621 .

I'm happy to tell folks that no longer applies, but we need to know
what the new rules are is and when the cut-over occured.

Jeff