[openssl-dev] OCB mode not flagged as AEAD ?

Michel michel.sales at free.fr
Sat Jan 2 22:31:58 UTC 2016

Hi,

Trying the 1.1 pre-release version, I am surprised that the following
assertion failed :

assert( EVP_CIPHER_flags( EVP_aes_128_ocb() ) & EVP_CIPH_FLAG_AEAD_CIPHER );

Consequently, my test program doesn't use the requested control command :

EVP_CIPHER_CTX_ctrl(ctx, EVP_CTRL_AEAD_GET_TAG, taglen, tag);

EVP_CIPHER_CTX_ctrl(ctx, EVP_CTRL_AEAD_SET_TAG, taglen, tag);

and fails to decrypt data.

(as do the openssl enc command, which doesn't return : "AEAD ciphers not
supported",

but instead ends with "bad decrypt" ).

Is there any reason for that ?
Do we really need to test : if( AEAD OR OCB ) { . }

Thanks,

and by the way,

I whish you all an Happy New Year.

Michel.