[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4223] fix request for OpenSSL (not version specific)

Cleveland Watson via RT rt at openssl.org
Thu Jan 7 19:41:21 UTC 2016

Hi, I work for IBM supporting an application built in the HP NonStop Open
System Services (OSS) environment.

The application I support uses OpenSSL, which I compile and integrate into
our application.

When compiling any version of OpenSSL under OSS, I have to add the
highlighted condition in source module apps/ca.c in order to complete the
compilation:

/home/openssl/openssl-1.0.2e/apps: diff ca.c.orig ca.c
85c85
< # elif !defined(OPENSSL_SYS_VXWORKS) && !defined(OPENSSL_SYS_WINDOWS) &&
!defined(OPENSSL_SYS_NETWARE)
---
> # elif !defined(OPENSSL_SYS_VXWORKS) && !defined(OPENSSL_SYS_WINDOWS) &&
!defined(OPENSSL_SYS_NETWARE) && !defined(__TANDEM)
/home/openssl/openssl-1.0.2e/apps:

The code in context is

#ifndef W_OK
# ifdef OPENSSL_SYS_VMS
#  if defined(__DECC)
#   include <unistd.h>
#  else
#   include <unixlib.h>
#  endif
# elif !defined(OPENSSL_SYS_VXWORKS) && !defined(OPENSSL_SYS_WINDOWS) &&
!defined(OPENSSL_SYS_NETWARE) && !defined(__TANDEM)
#  include <sys/file.h>
# endif
#endif

Header file <sys/file.h> is not part of the standard library in OSS, so if
the test for __TANDEM is not added, the preprocessor attempts to include
the header file and the compilation fails when it is not found. Adding
this condtion allows compilation to complete normally.

This problem exists in every NonStop OSS environment I have worked in,
with every version of OpenSSL I have worked with (starting with 0.9.8).

Could this change be considered for permanent inclusion in future releases
of OpenSSL?

Current OpenSSL version:  1.0.2e
Current NonStop OS version:  J06.15.00

Best Regards,