[openssl-dev] ec_key_method_st defined only in ec_lcl.h - master branch

Linsell, StevenX stevenx.linsell at intel.com
Wed Jan 13 02:01:48 UTC 2016

I was just moving an OpenSSL Engine over to use the restructured ECDH and ECDSA methods on the master branch where structures ecdsa_method (ECDSA_METHOD)and ecdh_method (ECDH_METHOD) have been amalgamated into ec_key_method_st (EC_KEY_METHOD).
Traditionally there has been what could be considered a 'bug' where the ecdh_method and ecdsa_method structures are defined within private headers ech_locl.h and ecs_locl.h respectively instead of the public headers.
This forces an OpenSSL engine that wants to provide its own implementations to include the local header files, and hardcode an include path to them, as they don't exist in the public headers directory.
Following Steve's ec_key_method_st changes the data structure we need to now use for our own implementations remains only defined in ec_lcl.h and not part of the public interface.
For mainline OpenSSL 1.1.0 there has been a focus on making many of the data structures opaque which shouldn't have been part of the public interface.
I was wondering whether it was a conscious decision on Steve or the teams part to keep the ec_key_method_st only defined in the local header file, because of trying to keep data structures opaque, or whether it was just not considered as part of the tidyup?
I was interested to know if it was something I could change, and raise a pull request for, or whether I was wasting my time as it is intentional?

--

Steve Linsell                                     Intel Shannon DCG/CID Software Development Team

Stevenx.Linsell at intel.com<mailto:Stevenx.Linsell at intel.com>

Intel Research and Development Ireland Limited
Registered in Ireland
Registered Number: 308263

use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution by others is
sender and delete all copies.