[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4233] [bug][openssl verify] pre-valid certificate return code inconsistency

Zak Blacher via RT rt at openssl.org
Wed Jan 13 18:58:14 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I've found an inconsistency in the return status of 'openssl verify'. I've
attached a custom dummy ca, and an example certificate. This certificate is
valid for some date range in the future.

On my redhat machine (openssl 1.0.1e), running openssl verify will return a
status code of 2, but in osx (openssl 0.98zg), the return status is 0. In
both cases, I correctly see an error 9 in the function output.

The behavior of validating an expired certificate returns a status code of
0 on both systems.

-Zak

*Zak Blacher*

Software Engineer