[openssl-dev] simplifying rand_egd API

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Jan 14 10:26:14 UTC 2016

"Salz, Rich" <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
 |There are currently three functions related to the EGD:
 |        int RAND_egd(const char *path);
 |        int RAND_egd_bytes(const char *path, int bytes);
 |        int RAND_query_egd_bytes(const char *path, unsigned char *buf\
 |        , int bytes);
 |
 |I would like to just have a single function
 | Int RAND_add_egd(const char* path)
 |
 |Does anyone use those three functions?

For obvious reasons preprocessor conditionalized i do maintain the
first.  Yes i think that is a sane one to have.  (Whereas
i personally don't have a strong opinion on that topic at all i do
think that having an easy way to use a random source of choice may
be interesting for, e.g., students or researchers.  So i truly
think that saying "please keep this interface" isn't backed by
noone, wether they speak up or not today.)

P.S.: i like the new website; i had Matt Caswell's message laying
around for many weeks but a reply never made it.  Not that it
matters, anyway.

Ciao,

--steffen