[openssl-dev] [openssl-users] pkeyutl does not invoke hash?

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Thu Jan 14 14:41:20 UTC 2016

If you already know what Dr. Henson explained in the quoted emails - then the man page is crystal clear. However, if you don't - then it is very easy (it was to me) to make an erroneous assumption (that is not explicitly contradicted) that the digest you specify would be applied to the data you are signing by pkeyutl itself.

This is why I'm asking to include a statement (taking the relevant paragraph from Steve's email seems the best and the simplest way to me) somewhere in the beginning of the Notes section. That added statement/paragraph would makeit unambiguously clear that specified or implied digest and it's parameters are used by pkeyutl ONLY for sanity checks and inclusion into the signature structure, but are NOT applied to the input data by pkeyutl (which instead the user must himself perform prior to invoking pkeyutl).

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.