[openssl-dev] Upcoming build system change

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Sat Jan 16 16:46:53 UTC 2016

Hi Richard,

On Jan 14 21:59, Richard Levitte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there's an effort going on to revamp the build system for future
> OpenSSL, coining it as "unified".  The intention is to have one and
> the same base of information for all platforms, instead of having to
> maintain one set of files for Unixly platforms, one makefile generator
> for Windowsy platforms, and one pile of scripts with a serious case of
> bit rot for VMS.
> [...]
> Config and build
> ----------------
>
> For Unix users, who are used to the usual generation of a top Makefile
> from Makefile.org...  that is, Makefile.in since recently, this it
> still the default, but you can always use the unified build as an
> alternative by adding the flag --unified, like so:
>
>     ./config --unified

I tried that and it doesn't work correctly for Cygwin on x86_64.
Rather than choosing the "Cygwin-x86_64" configuration, it chooses
the "Cygwin" configuration which is for the i686 based 32 bit
version of Cygwin.

Can this be recified easily.

Btw., for the new unified configuration it might make sense to
rename "Cygwin" to "Cygwin-i686".  -march could then be set for
i686 as well since 32 bit Cygwin won't run on older CPUs anyway.

Thanks,
Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen