[openssl-dev] OpenSSL version 1.1.0 pre release 2 published

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Sun Jan 17 00:14:14 UTC 2016

In message <20160116183724.GI12431 at calimero.vinschen.de> on Sat, 16 Jan 2016 19:37:24 +0100, Corinna Vinschen <vinschen at redhat.com> said:

vinschen> Who had this funny idea to use the Windows definitions when building for
vinschen> Cygwin?

I'm afraid that is lost in the thin web of history ;-)

vinschen> <pleading>
vinschen>
vinschen> Please, please, please, Cygwin is a *POSIX* layer.  Please don't use
vinschen> Windows functions on Cygwin, use POSIX functions and POSIX methods,
vinschen> *unless* it's really necessary.
vinschen> </pleading>

I hear ya.

vinschen> Last but not least, we have a small build problem when building for the
vinschen> distro:  To build the packages with additional debuginfo packages, the
vinschen> packages must not be built with the -s option, plus we have to induce a
vinschen> few options for the sake of creating the debuginfo information.  Up to
vinschen> 1.0.2 we do this by tweaking openssl's build system.  We add an expression
vinschen> $(OPT_CFLAGS) to the CFLAGS definition for that.  If there's a better,
vinschen> easier way to do this, I'd be grateful for a hint.

OPT_FLAGS would be for optimizing, do I get that right?  I suggest you
have a look at Configurations/10-main.conf, you might notice
configuration items like debug_cflags, release_cflags, debug_lflags
and release_lflags.  If you have a look at my refactor-build branch,
you will see a fairly thorough Configurations/README.  If you look the
commit titled "Refactor config - move templates docs asm templates to
Configurations", you'll find the documentation that's applicable to
what Configure in the master branch supports...  later editions are
currently only supported in my branch.

vinschen> The attached patchset fixes all of the above.  With this,
vinschen> openssl-1.1.0-pre2 builds fine for Cygwin.

I'll have a closer look at all that tomorrow.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org