[openssl-dev] Personal configuration in 1.1.0

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Sun Jan 17 10:43:03 UTC 2016

Hi,

I think I've seen this question asked a few times, an it's time for an
explanation.

In upcoming OpenSSL 1.1.0, the old configuration strings supposed to
be gone, completely and entirely.  There are some traces left from the
time when we still had some of them and were converting them to the
new style configurations found in Configurations/, but those bits
haven't been tried for some time.  As a matter of fact, those last
traces are completely removed in my my refactor-build branch.

If you want to keep some personal configurations around, I'd suggest
having a look at the personal ones some of us in the team are keeping
around in Configurations/, and build your own using them as a model on
how to do so.

Unfortunately, the documentation isn't there yet, at least in master.
(have a look at my refactor-build branch, it has a Configurations/README
which I hope does a fair enough job...  if there are enhancements
needed, feedback is welcome!)

The older configuration strings still work as usual in the 1.0.x
releases.  That won't change, of course.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org