[openssl-dev] OpenSSL version 1.1.0 pre release 2 published

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Sun Jan 17 17:38:46 UTC 2016

In message <20160117171738.GB16440 at calimero.vinschen.de> on Sun, 17 Jan 2016 18:17:38 +0100, Corinna Vinschen <vinschen at redhat.com> said:

vinschen> On Jan 17 17:30, Richard Levitte wrote:
vinschen> > In message <20160117153235.GB9897 at calimero.vinschen.de> on Sun, 17 Jan 2016 16:32:35 +0100, Corinna Vinschen <vinschen at redhat.com> said:
vinschen> > [...]
vinschen> > vinschen> This is pretty non-standard.  By not allowing to extend CFLAGS from the
vinschen> > vinschen> environment, you require all distros to patch the OpenSSL package to fit
vinschen> > vinschen> their needs in terms of the build flags.
vinschen> >
vinschen> > Actually, I forgot another possibility, to just pass them on the
vinschen> > Configure / config command line, like so:
vinschen> >
vinschen> >     ./config -ggdb -O2 -pipe -Wimplicit-function-declaration \
vinschen> >       -fdebug-prefix-map=${BUILDDIR}=/usr/src/debug/openssl-1.1.0-pre2-1 \
vinschen> >       -fdebug-prefix-map=${SOURCEDIR}=/usr/src/debug/openssl-1.1.0-pre2-1
vinschen> >
vinschen> > Basically, anything start with a dash or plus that Configure doesn't
vinschen> > recognise as its own, it will pass down:
vinschen> >
vinschen> >   * if it starts with -l. -L or -Wl, into EX_LIBS, which is
vinschen> >     essentially flags to the linker.
vinschen> >   * otherwise, into CFLAG / CFLAGS.
vinschen> >
vinschen> > Can't believe I forgot to mention that, considering I use it all the
vinschen> > time...
vinschen>
vinschen> This works.  I can't believe this worked so simple all the time.  Is
vinschen> that documented somewhere?  If not, it certainly should.

Badly, I have to admit.  Looks like this in the big wall of commenting
at the beginning of Configure:

# -<xxx> +<xxx> compiler options are passed through

vinschen> > If my info about the Configure command line above wasn't good enough,
vinschen> > I do have a fairly simple idea on how to allow for using environment
vinschen> > variables to expand the diverse flag items, more or less directly into
vinschen> > the target structure.
vinschen>
vinschen> I guess it's your choice then.  The above seems to work
vinschen> nicely for us, so there's no pressure.

Well, the path of least resistance and all that ;-)
Seriously, it'll stay on my mind, but unless someone screams bloody
murder, it's not gonna be on my top ten priority list.  I'm sure you
understand.  Of course, if someone else in the team feels compelled,
by all means!

vinschen> It would be good to know if that helps for Debian as well,
vinschen> of course.

Yup, agreed.

Cheers,
Richard