[openssl-dev] Configure --prefix and --openssldir

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Tue Jan 19 18:37:42 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 07:06:06PM +0100, Richard Levitte wrote:

> When I look at them today, they look...  well, a bit aged, and could
> use a refreshment.  But before doing anything with these options, I'd
> like to know how you guys are using them, and how they could be
> better.
>
> As a recap, here's how they work today (*):
>
> --prefix unset, --openssldir unset
>     => INSTALLTOP=/usr/local/ssl , OPENSSLDIR=/usr/local/ssl

I only use "--prefix".  There seems to be some code in Configure
to support BSD platforms by adding "-rpath" when --prefix is not
/usr, but it does not seem to work (the flag does not actually make
it into the link command for libssl.so).  I have to explicitly
tweak the BSD definition in Configurations/.

Fixing that might be useful.

--
	Viktor.