[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4261] BUG unable to connect to Mysql via ssl connection.

Todd Farmer todd.farmer at oracle.com
Thu Jan 21 16:50:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 1/21/2016 9:23 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Thu 2016-01-21 10:50:28 -0500, Alan Bocutt via RT wrote:
>> I am currently running Ubuntu with Mysql and am unable to connect via an ssl
>> connection to the database getting following error.
>>
>> error 2026 (hy000): ssl connection error: protocol version mismatch
>>
>> My installation details are as follows
>>
>> Ubuntu version
>>
>> Linux ubuntu-365sussex 3.19.0-25-generic #26~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 24
>> 21:16:20 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Installed Version info for OpenSSL
>>
>> OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
>
> iirc, mysql doesn't use openssl at all, due to licensing
> incompatibilities.  It uses a separate TLS implementation entirely, but
> i don't recall whether it's an embedded copy of CYAssl these days or
> something else.  I think this question belongs in a MySQL forum, not an
> OpenSSL forum.

Commercial-licensed MySQL binaries use OpenSSL; GPL-licensed MySQL
binaries use yaSSL.  Some downstream forks and/or distros may be less
concerned with license incompatibilities between GPL and OpenSSL.

I agree that this is a MySQL-focused question rather than
OpenSSL-specific issue - help can be found on forums.mysql.com, or email
me directly.

Thanks,

--
Todd Farmer
Director, Technical Product Management, MySQL