[openssl-dev] SSL_get0_dane_authority() and session reuse

Claus Assmann ca+ssl-dev at esmtp.org
Sat Jan 23 11:42:38 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> > On Jan 22, 2016, at 7:35 PM, Claus Assmann wrote:

> > SSL_get0_dane_authority() returns -1 on a reused TLS session
> > in my test program.

> It is expected, but probably should be documented.

Thanks; is there any chance to change that behaviour?

Let me explain what I'm trying to do (sorry for not including that
in the original mail):

For SMTP STARTTLS I try to determine some properties of the TLS
connection so the MTA can decide whether the connection should be
aborted or continue.  Those properties are for example: cert issuer,
cert subject, cipher bits, verification status, e.g., X509_V_OK,
(all of which can be retrieved from SSL via some function calls),
and in the last case I would like to know if DANE was
(originally/successfully) used.

I could try to store that information somehow in the TLS session
context (SSL) myself, but it would make things much easier if OpenSSL
can provide that information.