[openssl-dev] Check for heartbeat response without reading?

Judson Wilson wilson.judson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 01:04:02 UTC 2016

It's for research.

I need a way, using only SSL layer functionality, for a client to know with
certainty that the server has received a message. This is trivial at the
application layer, but that is not what is wanted.

In particular, the client needs to know that the server has completed a
resume (for key rotation, not connection initiation). If a client performs
a resume and no messages exchange afterwards, the client cannot be
guaranteed that the server has received ChangeCipherSpec.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. I just need a way for my application to know if
a heartbeat response has been received, without committing to reading a
chunk of application layer data of a specific size in a certain memory
address.