[openssl-dev] recent EC_PRE_COMP changes

Billy Brumley bbrumley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 17:28:41 UTC 2016

>> That commit caused EC_PRE_COMP to lose a lot of generality. Was a function
>> pointer approach like below considered? I'm not trying to resurrect
>> EC_EXTRA_DATA, but a *little* flexibility would be nice.
>
> What functionality was lost that isn't available in the public and standard EX_DATA model?

Well I don't see an ex_data attached to EC_GROUP or EC_METHOD. I must
be missing something? I guess I can hijack one of the spare void
pointers in EC_GROUP. I was somewhat familiar with the old point
precomp flow for an EC_METHOD, so I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping
my head around it.

When I look at ec_lib.c, pre_comp_type is only being checked in switch
statements in _free and _dup style wrappers. Seems out of place and
oddly specific. Just one dude's opinion :)

Thanks!

BBB