[openssl-dev] unexpected message, SSL alert 10

Michel michel.sales at free.fr
Wed Jan 27 20:05:07 UTC 2016

Hi,

Doing some OpenSSL 1.1 pre-2 tests between a client and a server I got :

client : error:141600F4:SSL routines:read_state_machine:unexpected message

server : error:140943F2:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:reason(1010); SSL alert
number 10

As I read somewhere that this alert should never be observed between proper
implementations, I thought best to report it.

What I did :

Neither client or server context was initialisied with certificates or key.

(I wanted to test anonymous ciphers)

But I erroneously used SSL_CTX_set_verify() with  SSL_VERIFY_PEER |
SSL_VERIFY_FAIL_IF_NO_PEER_CERT;

(server side).

Let me know if you need more informations.

Regards,

Michel