[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4271] Enhancement Request: Support TCP Fast Open

Short, Todd tshort at akamai.com
Thu Jan 28 14:15:30 UTC 2016

However, we’re talking about botnets. They do bad things, they don’t follow the rules. They can masquerade as the original sender and send additional data.

The received data held ought to be limited to the initial window of the connection, AND, since these are all original SYNs (pun intended) the server receiving the data ought to only be saving one packet worth of data (i.e. TFO queue), since the first data pack should be repeated (because it’s the initial data on the connection) on subsequent SYNs on the to-be established connection.

So, the problem isn’t other members of the botnet receiving cookies, because they can’t exceed the TFO queue, but multiple members of the botnet doing TFO on their own, and not responding to the SYN-ACK, potentially opening up thousands of embryonic sockets with thousands of bytes of data, which is what the original SYN-cookies were meant to prevent in the first place.

Regardless, this can happen with or without OpenSSL support, and any server that supports TFO is “Asking For Trouble”, IMHO.

While I personally don’t think that TFO should be supported anywhere for security reasons (it is “experimental”), there’s no reason to not support it in in OpenSSL.

On the other hand, if someone really wanted to support this, they could write their own BIO.

--
-Todd Short
// tshort at akamai.com<mailto:tshort at akamai.com>