[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4283] TLS1.2 & SHA256 in a non-computer OS environment issues

Sandra J Peterson via RT rt at openssl.org
Sun Jan 31 23:55:31 UTC 2016

I'm trying to upgrade an embedded system w/ a non-computer OS (e.g., not Windows, not MAC, not Linux, not Android, not UNIX, etc.) from using SSL3/TLS1 to TLS1.2 so I can use SHA256 certificates.

The embedded system uses the Nucleus OS, has a Hitachi 7720 microprocessor and the code is written in C.  I have to use the Renesas HEW compiler.  I need a .lib file (not a DLL) to link w/ the rest of application software for the embedded system.

I can't compile the OpenSSL code because it doesn't follow the simple rule that you can NOT use something before it has been defined.  Amongst other things, the OpenSSL v1.0.2 code has structures that reference each other so no matter which one is defined first, I always get errors because the other structure hasn't been defined yet.

Is there a version of the OpenSSL code that supports TLS1.2 & SHA256 that does follow the rule that you can't use something before it has been defined?

Sincerely,
Sandra Peterson
Principal Software Engineer
Pitney Bowes, Inc.

Please consider your email server and your email mailbox before attaching a huge signature block or a signature block that contains graphics.

This email message may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information. It is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you have received it in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and then delete this email message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the information contained in this email message to or by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to the views of the Company. Thank you.