[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4609] Configure does not honor requests for ld.gold

Richard Levitte via RT rt at openssl.org
Fri Jul 8 08:33:57 UTC 2016

On Fri Jul 08 07:47:14 2016, noloader at gmail.com wrote:
> $ ./config LD=ld.gold
> Operating system: x86_64-whatever-linux2
> Configuring for linux-x86_64
> Configuring OpenSSL version 1.1.0-pre6-dev (0x0x10100006L)
> target already defined - linux-x86_64 (offending arg: LD=ld.gold)
>
> And:
>
> $ LD=ld.gold ./config
> Operating system: x86_64-whatever-linux2
> Configuring for linux-x86_64
>
> $ cat Makefile | grep ld.gold
> $ cat Makefile.shared | grep ld.gold
> $
>
> I don't believe CFLAG -fuse-ld=gold is an option because the linker is
> invoked directly rather than using the compiler driver. (Or at least
> it used to be that way).

'ld' is only used in one case, in Makefile.shared. That's for AIX, when
building shared objects directly from object files instead of going from the
static library. Therefore, trying to set LD makes absolutely no sense.

Also, please please please read INSTALL, it tells you what environment
variables are considered by the configuration scripts, and please please please
understand that our configuration scripts are not autoconf generated ones and
currently do not understand 'FOO=value' arguments. This has been pointed out
quite a few times already.

That being said, have you tried the following (the configuration scripts will
assume that any argument starting with a dash that they don't understand
internally are to be taken as C flags... this too has been pointed out before)?

./config -fuse-ld=gold

Cheers,
Richard

--