[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4614] pthread_once and malloc failures

Kurt Roeckx via RT rt at openssl.org
Mon Jul 11 16:20:29 UTC 2016

Hi,

When trying to check what happens if we simulate malloc()
returning NULL I'm running into a problem that I'm not sure how to
deal with.

We have CRYPTO_THREAD_run_once(), which takes an init() function
that returns void, so it can't return failures.  At least the
pthread_once() function also has it as void.

But if those functions call malloc() and that returns NULL, we now
don't catch that error, and later just try to use a NULL pointer.

Anybody a good idea how to solve this?

Kurt

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4614