[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4609] Configure does not honor requests for ld.gold

Andy Polyakov via RT rt at openssl.org
Thu Jul 14 13:36:53 UTC 2016

>> I don't know what you expect us to do.  We don't use the LD variable.
>
> Right. I'm just pointing out gaps.
>
> It only gets worse for users. What happens when someone tries a
> cross-compile by setting CC, AR, RANLIB, LD and a CFLAGS with
> --sysroot? As far as I know, there is no RTFM for cross-compiles.

Can there be one? Do we know that *all* cross-compile environments are
so similar that one can actually formulate universal TFM? Well, I'm not
saying that it's impossible to be more "eloquent" than to mention
--cross-compile-prefix and CROSS_COMPILE variable in ./INSTALL and
discuss them more specifically in Configurations/10-main.cf for Android
and iOS, I only question how "F" a "TFM" can really get. You say "it
only gets worse for users." Well, what users? For example today Debian
users can have it really simple by installing prepackaged cross
compilers along with cross-dev packages and just specify
--cross-compile-prefix alone, no need to bother with --sysroot or
anything. Moreover, if you are creative enough you can even note that if
you install qemu-user, arrange binfmt and set some variables (or create
some symbolic links) you'll be able to execute resulting alien Linux
binaries as if they were native directly from your shell prompt...
Bottom line is that there are so many variables that apparent gaps are
kind of inevitable...

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4609