[openssl-dev] Error is a pod file

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Fri Jul 15 05:34:49 UTC 2016

In message <52d9b2c74d7b4985a1f9315e104226de at usma1ex-dag1mb1.msg.corp.akamai.com> on Fri, 15 Jul 2016 02:55:15 +0000, "Salz, Rich" <rsalz at akamai.com> said:

rsalz> > install ./doc/crypto/BIO_set_callback.pod ->
rsalz> > /Users/ur20980/src/openssl-1.1/share/man/man3/BIO_set_callback.3
rsalz> > IO::File=IO(0x7f896a02d1c0) around line 42: =over should be: '=over' or
rsalz> > '=over positive_number'
rsalz>
rsalz> I don't understand this error message. "=over" should be "=over"?
rsalz>
rsalz> Does adding a blank line after it fix the problem?

Yes.

In the POD format, everything is a paragraph, each separated from the
others with a blank line.  That includes command paragraphs.  So, what
looks like a command line to you was actually this command paragraph:

    =over
    The BIO the callback is attached to is passed in B<b>.

... and I'm pretty sure that no pod processor knows what to do with
the '=over' argument "The BIO the callback is attached to is passed in
B<b>.", hence the error message.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org