[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4590] accessors without const return arguments

Stephen Henson via RT rt at openssl.org
Fri Jul 22 14:09:12 UTC 2016

On Sat Jun 25 22:09:59 2016, openssl at roumenpetrov.info wrote:

> Above is reason the request to remove const from return argument of get0
> methods.

We had a discussion about this and the preference was to have get methods
retain const for various reasons.

Instead the DSA_SIG/ECDSA_SIG structures now no longer pre-allocate r/s so they
aren't immediately freed when you set them.

> The issue is not only for ECDSA but also for DSA_SIG and RSA, DSA, DH
> keys where situation is similar.

Do you have some examples of how this affects other structures? For RSA/DSA/DH
keys the fields are NULL initially unless I've missed something.

Steve.

Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4590