[openssl-dev] Session resume with different TLS version?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jul 26 23:29:28 UTC 2016

The deprecation of the version-specific methods such as
DTLSv1_client_method() has introduced a regression — the
SSL_OP_CISCO_ANYCONNECT hack doesn't work with DTLS_client_method().

I'm looking into fixing that (in PR#1296 along with a test case and
some fixes for various other regressions). In doing so, I uncovered a
slightly more generic question...

If I am resuming a session with SSL_set_session(), and that previous
session used a specific protocol... should we negotiate that *same*
protocol again, effectively setting the minimum and maximum protocol
versions to s->session->ssl_version?

Given that DTLS1_BAD_VER only *ever* needs to be used in a session
resume, that would be a perfectly acceptable way to obtain it...

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation