[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4570] Enhancement request: Configuration option no-hw-aes

Loic Etienne via RT rt at openssl.org
Fri Jun 17 10:17:45 UTC 2016

Run-time checking works for x86, but not for arm (OPENSSL_armcap_P is hidden, I still have to try over environment variables, which are not as flexible for arm as for x86).

Anyway, it would be helpful to exclude hardware aes instructions at compile-time:

1) Runtime checking is error prone (openssl and code using openssl evolve)

2) Proving to a customer (or convincing myself) that no such instructions will ever be used is much easier if such instructions are not even compiled

I guess that some of the already existing no-xxx configuration options have been introduced for similar reasons.