[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4545] Crash in crypto/rand/md_rand.c

Mick Saxton via RT rt at openssl.org
Fri Jun 17 18:43:05 UTC 2016

Perhaps we should consider if there are any negative consequences to my solution?
It does work.

I am trying really hard to get contention but I am only seeing this problem in about 1 out of 100,000 successful TLSv1.2 connections
On a heavily congested network.
I require three machines to just to run the test that causes the failure.

All we are trying to do is get a random number – surely getting a slightly less random number is better than crashing?
It could be that the problematic instances were going to disconnect anyway due to TCP/IP problems.

Rather than my previous suggestion – I am now suggesting:-

So in ssleay_rand_add

    If ( j-k>0 ) MD_Update(&m, &(state[st_idx]), j – k);

And a similar fix in ssleay_rand_bytes

This also avoids adding zero bytes to the hash – which it does quite often.