[openssl-dev] arch (ARM) capabilities

Andy Polyakov appro at openssl.org
Mon Jun 27 15:28:40 UTC 2016

> I want something more programmatic, more general.
> I want to deliver a piece of software that will run on ARM architectures and will issue a warning or something like that if the user does not have an OpenSSL library set to work with ARM Crypto Extension.

What does "set to work" mean? Compiled with support for ARMv8 extensions
or actually uses them? While there is no direct means to tell either,
there are indirect methods that you might find usable. To see if it's
compiled with support for ARMv8 you might be able to use dlsym to lookup
either of symbols specific to ARMv8 code. As for those subroutines
actually being used, if you trust OpenSSL capability detection, you can
simply look at /proc/cpuinfo, or replicate OpenSSL's detection.