[openssl-dev] arch (ARM) capabilities

Hubert Kario hkario at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 13:45:58 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 28 June 2016 14:35:52 Andy Polyakov wrote:

> >> Depends on your system. Not all AArch64 processors were born equal,
> >> some have crypto extensions, some don't, some have mighty pipelines,
> >> some don't. The presented numbers suggest that you ended up on APM
> >> X-Gene processor which doesn't.
> >
> > yes, it is an X-Gene, though I don't know which exact one
> >
> > The product briefs I could find, say that X-Genes do support cryptograpic
> > extensions:
> > https://myapm.apm.com/technical_documents/download/apm883208-product-brief1
>
> I says "APM883208-X1 *can* deliver advanced security capabilities with
> the *optional* security engine." Mention of "engine" and then algorithm
> list suggests that it's kind of embedded peripheral, which would appear
> to user-land as device. While what we are talking about here is AES-NI
> equivalent for ARMv8, i.e. ARM *instruction* set extension directly
> accessible to user-land. Availability of this extension is normally
> reflected in Features: in /proc/cpuinfo.

ah, yes, the X-Gene 1 product brief says that the SHA-512 *can* be accelerated
which is not part of the ARM cryptographic extensions

it's the X-Gene 2 that says that the optional ARM v8 cryptographic instructions
are supported:
https://myapm.apm.com/technical_documents/download/apm883408-x2-product-brief

my mistake

since I don't see any "aes" or "sha" in /proc/cpuinfo, it means that I'm probably
running the first not the second generation X-Gene

thanks for clarification!
--
Regards,
Hubert Kario