[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4589] Resolved: simplifying writing code that is 1.0.x and 1.1.x compatible

Tomas Mraz via RT rt at openssl.org
Wed Jun 29 07:33:55 UTC 2016

On Út, 2016-06-28 at 22:10 +0000, Thomas Waldmann via RT wrote:
> On 06/28/2016 11:18 PM, Kurt Roeckx via RT wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 08:50:43PM +0000, Thomas Waldmann via RT
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I didn't ask where to get the missing code from, I asked whether
> > > you
> > > maybe want to make life simpler for people by adding this to
> > > 1.0.x
> > > rather than having a thousand software developers copy and
> > > pasting it
> > > into their projects.
> > I think this will not actually make life easier.  People using a
> > 1.0.x version are not always using the latest 1.0.x version.
> Aren't they?
>
> Don't they use 1.0.xLATEST rather soon, due to security fixes?
>
> And in case some dist maintainer chooses to rather backport, couldn't
> they also backport the added function if it is documented as "openssl
> 1.1.x migration support" or so?
>
> We aren't talking about incompatible changes, just adding 2 trivial
> functions that were not there yet (but should have been there, when
> looking at the rest of the API).

You might get such kind of backport to something that still evolves
such as (RHEL/CentOS 7) however you would not get it in older releases
(RHEL/CentOS 5 and most probably RHEL/CentOS 6 either).

So you will still be facing the issue that there are environments where
someone wants to build your code and these functions are not present.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb

--