[openssl-dev] Please consider delaying the Beta-1 freeze for a week or two

Ben Laurie ben at links.org
Fri Mar 11 11:11:27 UTC 2016

On 11 March 2016 at 09:24, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
>> noloader> Testing master on real hardware is showing some minor issues on a few
>> noloader> platforms, including ARM32, ARM64, PowerPC and i686. In addition,
>> noloader> there seems to be one-off issues on other combinations, like VIA's C7
>> noloader> processor on Linux.
>> noloader>
>> noloader> In addition to the base issues, there are other minor issues like
>> noloader> failing to configure and compile with 'no-comp'. Other configuration
>> noloader> dependent issues include failed self tests under PowerPC in a shared
>> noloader> configuration.
>> noloader>
>> noloader> Please consider delaying the freeze for a week or two while the issues
>> noloader> are being ironed out.
>> The upcoming release is the first beta of two planned, and we've
>> already delayed the first for a few extra days.  It is not a final
>> release, so there's still time to fix things like these.
>> Please see the bottom of the release strategy for the planned dates:
>> http://openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html
> Well, would it be possible to survey supported platforms and see if it
> makes sense to move forward at this point? Does the library maintain a
> matrix of test platforms and results?
> Releasing a Beta-1 seems like its missing the point if the the point
> of the beta is to test it. There are issues in {configure|build|test}
> on ARM32, ARM64, OpenBSD, Windows and some Linux i686 and x86_64
> targets/configurations. I'm also wondering about MIPS, NetBSD, FreeBSD
> and Gentoo.

FreeBSD hangs in the networking tests (70-*) currently.

More information about the openssl-dev mailing list